Workforce Investment Act (WIA)
Students must complete the following six steps before they can be officially enrolled in a WIA-approved program at MCC. (Non-credit students can skip to Step 4; no need to apply for financial aid).
Visit one of the CTWorks Centers:
- Hartford: 3580 Main Street, 860-256-3875
- New Britain: 260-270 Lafayette Street, 827-6240
- Enfield: 686 Enfield Street, 860-745-8097
- Manchester: 893 Main Street, 860-643-2222
Complete the Manchester Community College admissions application and submit the following:
- $20 application fee.
- Proof of high school, college or GED graduation. Acceptable forms are your original high school diploma, or an official sealed transcript.
- Proof of immunizations (mumps, measles, rubella and varicella).
Note: A separate application is required for all health career associate degree programs.
Apply for financial aid (if you have a bachelor's degree, you can skip this step).
- WIA funds will only be awarded to students who are NOT eligible to receive Federal Pell Grant funds. Pell Grant eligibility is determined by completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Students Aid). Check the list below that indicates which programs require a Pell Grant application. Students with a bachelor's degree do not need to apply for financial aid.
- Processing of the FAFSA takes an average of two weeks for the online form and six weeks for the hard copy mailed form. The online form can be accessed at: www.fafsa.ed.gov
- To be eligible for financial aid, students must be enrolled/matriculated in a degree program and provide proof of high school graduation, GED or college transcripts.
- Priority deadlines for Fall semester financial aid: May 15
- Priority deadlines for Spring semester financial aid: October 1
- Deadline for Summer financial aid: April 1
- To accept a financial aid award at MCC, visit http://my.commnet.edu
Take the Assessment Test.
- Appointments are necessary and seating is limited. If you do not have access to the internet, please contact the Test Center at 860-512-3304. Your Banner ID, listed on your acceptance letter, is required to schedule this appointment.
- After receiving your acceptance letter with your Banner ID, please go to www.mcc.commnet.edu and navigate to Prospective Students/Assessment Testing to schedule your test time.
Assessment Test Exemptions
An exemption may be granted for completion of college English Composition or college mathematics course with a grade of "C" or better (a copy of the college transcript/grade report is required as verification) or achieving a score of 450 or above on verbal portion of SAT exam and 500 on the math (a copy of scores are required for verification). Exemption request forms are available in the Admission Office, Student Services Center, L156. Approved request form needs to be presented to the test administration with a photo I.D. on the testing day.
Make an appointment for advising.
Prior to scheduling an advising appointment, students must have completed the financial aid process, received an approved Individual Training Account (ITA) voucher and have taken the assessment test. An academic advisor will review your test scores and help you select classes.
Register for classes.
The student needs to go to the Registrar's office to enroll in the classes.
WIA-Approved Credit Programs
- Business Office Technology*
- Drug and Alcohol Recovery Counselor*
- Manufacturing Engineering Technology*
- Occupational Therapy Assistant*
- Respiratory Care*
- Surgical Technology*
- Therapeutic Recreation*
- Child Development Associate
- Computer Aid Design
- CNC Intermediate Program
- Culinary Arts*
- Disability Specialist*
- Electronic Publishing
- Medical Insurance
- Personal Financial Planning
- Professional Baker
- Professional Cook
- Social Service*
- Sustainable Energy
- Therapeutic Recreation
- Web Technology
*Students need to apply for financial aid for these programs.
WIA-approved Non-credit Programs
Students in these programs need to fill out only the Credit-free Registration Form in the back of the credit-free catalog once they have met with the WIA advisor. These programs are not covered by financial aid awards.
- A+ Certification Preparation
- Certified Nurse Aid
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Networking Certification Preparation
- Oracle Database Administrator Associate
- Oracle Database
- Pharmacy Technician Certification
- Phlebotomy Certification Program
- Precision Machining (Phase One; Phase Two)
- Substitute Teacher Express Preparation (STEP)
- Real Estate Salesperson
- Personal Training National Certification
Should you have further questions regarding the WIA process, please contact MCC's WIA Site Advisor, Nylsa Ubarri-Young, at 860-512-3324 or e-mail email@example.com.
For additional information, contact: Nylsa Ubarri-Young