How to Obtain a Tax Transcript
If your FAFSA is selected for verification, and you did not use the IRS Data Retrieval option or you changed the IRS data, you will be required to request a tax transcript from the IRS and submit it to the Financial Aid Officeinstead of supplying federal tax returns as has been past practice as part of MCC's verification process.
Do not request a Tax Account Transcript or Record of Account because they cannot be used for financial aid verification purposes.
There are three way to request your tax return transcript:
Order by phone:
- Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 (7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.)
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their Social Security number and the numbers in their street address. Generally, these will be the numbers of the street address that was listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed through the U.S. Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Select "Option 2" to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript, and then enter tax year.
If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address that was used in their telephone request within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request.
IRS Tax Return Transcripts requested by telephone cannot be sent directly to a third party by the IRS.
- Go to www.irs.gov
- Click Order a Tax Return or Account Transcript located under Tools
- Click Order a Transcript under Step 3
- Enter your SSN, Date of Birth, Street Address, and ZIP Code
- Click Continue
- Select Return Transcript for Tax Year (i.e. 2011)
- Click Continue
Order by mail:
- Complete Form 4506-TEZ (Request for Transcript of Tax Return)
- Form 4506-T is available online at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form to the appropriate address (or fax number) provided on page 2 of Form 4506T-EZ.
Your transcript(s) will be mailed within 5 to 10 days from the IRS.
Note: The Financial Aid Office is required to verify all students selected for verification by the federal government.
For additional information, contact: Ivette Rivera-Dreyer