Understanding Financial Aid

What is Financial Aid?

Financial aid is money in the form of grants, employment and loans that is available to students to help pay the cost of attending a college, university, or vocational/technical school. Financial aid comes from the federal government, which is the largest provider of aid, as well as state governments, schools and a variety of the public and private sources.

The prime objective of the Financial Aid Office is to meet the basic expenses of tuition and fees. In addition, many recipients qualify for additional educational expenses, such as books, supplies and transportation costs. Many students supplement their grant aid from MCC with employment earnings and Direct Stafford Loans that more fully meet their expenses for room, board, transportation, personal health and child care costs.

Helpful Hints for Applicants

  • Apply early to meet deadline dates.
  • Have "start-up" money available when beginning classes. The financial aid reimbursement takes between four to six weeks to process and the process cannot begin until the registration and add/drop period is over for the semester.
  • Keep mailing and email addresses current with the Financial Aid Office and other departments such as Admissions and Registrar's.
  • Keep the Financial Aid Office informed of any changes in enrollment status.

Some External Financial Aid Resources

1098T FORM

The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 is a tax benefit available to students who have incurred qualified expenses for higher education. To assist you in the determination of eligibility for an education credit, Manchester Community College provides Form 1098-T. The 2013 1098-T form is now available from MyCommnet. To obtain a copy of the form please follow the instructions below. If you have any questions regarding this form please call the Bursars Office at 860 512 3648.

Log into MyCommnet

Click: “Student” tab

Click: “Student Self-Service”

Click: “Financial Aid”

Click: “My Financial Services”

Click: “Tax Notifications”

Put in specific year

You will then be directed to your 1098-T form

*Keep in mind, if you receive Financial Aid and it exceeds the amount that you were billed for, you will NOT be eligible to receive a 1098-T form.

Last Update: February 07 2014
For additional information, contact: Ivette Rivera-Dreyer