Work-Study Program

The purpose of the Federal Work-Study Program is to provide students part-time employment to meet their financial needs and give them work experience while attending college.


Student eligibility is determined from data provided by the FAFSA completed by the student. Students interested in the Work-Study program must fill out a Work-Study Application (found on the Form Depot).

The student must meet the following requirements for eligibility:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Have a demonstrable financial need determined by FAFSA.
  • Be matriculated at MCC, which means being admitted and enrolled in a degree program.
  • Enrolled in at least 6 credit hours each semester.
  • Be in compliance with the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.


Students are awarded work-study funds when a supervisor has confirmed that the student was hired. The funds are listed along with other financial aid awarded the student and may be accepted and signed in the student's myCommNet account. Unlike grants, students must work to receive their work-study funding. Unearned awards cannot be carried over from one semester to another.

Finding a Job

It is the student's responsibility to find an on-campus job in order to utilize their work-study award.

Finding a Job on Campus

Most MCC departments seeking student employees with work-study eligibility post jobs on College Central Network.

Finding a Job Off-Campus

Off-campus sites and contracts are developed by the Director of Financial Aid. Students interested in off-campus positions must visit the Financial Aid Office to review job descriptions for available jobs. Eligible students' applications and/or resumes are sent to the off-campus supervisors for review if the students indicate interest in a particular position.

Completing the Employment Process

Once the student has been interviewed and offered an employment position by a work-study supervisor, the following steps must be taken:

  • Post your Work Study position on College Central Network.
  • Interview students.
  • Send your request for a student worker to Yanidza Betancourt, Enrollment Services Coordinator, at ybetancourt@mcc.commnet.eduso an Approval Form is prepared conditional to the student’s eligibility. You must allow 7-10 business days for processing.  Paperwork is processed in order that the requests for student workers are received.
  • Complete the Notification of Employment (NOE) and obtain signatures from your Dean.
  • Complete Section B of the Work Study Approval Form.  Indicate the Hourly Rate on this form.
  • Complete the Confidentiality Agreement with your student.
  • Return all completed forms to the Financial Aid Office.
  • Remind your student worker to complete the Payroll packet.
  • Make sure that the student accepts the Work Study Award through
  • Inform the Financial Aid Office and Payroll Office of Terminations.
  • Meet with your student worker to schedule work hours.
  • Closely monitor the hours worked and the student’s earnings so that the student does not go over the award amount.
  • Complete and submit timesheets every week and in a timely manner.
  • Complete evaluation at the end of each semester and submit it to the Financial Aid Office, to be added to the student’s record.

The supervisor will be responsible for obtaining and completing the necessary paperwork for the student to begin working.

Payroll and Earnings

Work-study students are paid according to the college's bi-weekly payroll schedule.  Checks are picked up by department personnel and distributed to students in the department.  Students may also use direct deposit; forms are available at the college's Payroll Office. 

Students can only work until their work-study funds run out for a given semester. Earnings will be monitored by the supervisor. The Financial Aid Office will be responsible for monitoring students' eligibility for funds. Students can only work up to 15 hours per week during the fall and spring semester and up to 30 hours per week during summer and winter intercessions, if eligible and if funding is available. When the work-study award runs out for a given student, on-campus supervisors may consider using discretionary funds for their department.

Once a student has been hired, the supervisor must inform the Financial Aid Office through email. If the student is eligible, the student is awarded and a Work-Study Approval Form is completed (found on the Form Depot). The supervisor obtains this form from the Financial Aid Office. The supervisor is responsible for completing the Notification of Employment (NOE) (found on the Form Depot) and requesting signatures from the division Dean. Both forms are returned to the Financial Aid Office, and from there they are copied and sent to the Payroll Office. The Payroll Office will also request that the student completes a payroll packet and provides two forms of identification.

Student workers must complete a weekly timesheet and have it signed by their direct supervisor. Supervisors and students must keep a copy of each timesheet for their records. The supervisor will then submit the original timesheet to the Payroll Office.

Last Update: April 07 2014
For additional information, contact: Ivette Rivera-Dreyer